A complete description of the frigate L'Egyptienne, armed with 24-pounders.
The booklet is illustrated with many 3-D drawings and 60 photographs of the Musee de la Marine models.
Warning: Last items in stock!
Availability date: 0000-00-00
The increase in the caliber of cannon aboard XVIIIth century frigates implied an increase in the length of the vessels. Naturally at the end of the century, the race for larger calibers ended-up including the 24-pounder (the weight of the shot in pounds). During this period, only four units were built. Two of them ended-up having remarkable performances, La Forte and L'Egyptienne, designed by Francois Caro.
From first-hand documents and thanks to the models preserved at the Musee de la Marine, it has been possible to recreate the plans of one of them, for which a lot of information is available.
Thus, the monograph presents a complete description of the frigate L'Egyptienne, armed with 24-pounders.This analysis describes her detailed construction including the structure, the furniure, the decoration, the masts, sails and rigging.
This study has required the creation of 39 drawing plates reproduced here at the 1/48 scale. A 216-pag booklet retraces the history of the frigate, the detail of the design of the plans, rigging rules, and various technical notes that are necessary for the construction of the model. The booklet is illustrated with many 3-D drawings and 60 photographs of the Musee de la Marine models.
Booklet in 24x31 cm format and 39 plans in a cardboard box with flaps.
Dust jacket with illustration by Jean Bellis.
216-page booklet (sewn spine, 130-gr paper);
Generalities about frigates
Instructions for the voyage to Egypt
Principles of construction
Photos of the two models
Commentaries on the plates
List of metal parts
List of wooden parts
Table of rigging measurements
List of the thirty-nine 1/48-scale plates :
1. Schematic elevation of the hull
2. Vertical sections
3. Horizontal sections
4. Structural elements 1
5. Structural elements 2 and pumps
6. 7, 8, and 9 – drawings of frames
10. Timber structure of the stern area
11. Hawse pieces
12. Elevation of the timber structure
13. Hull planking
14. Timber structure of the head
15. Timber structure of the quarter-galleries
16. Lengthwise section of the timber structure
17. Fittings in the lower hold
18. Fittings in the upper hold
19. Timber structure and fittings in the orlop deck
20. Gun-deck structure
21. Gun-deck fittings
22. Timber structure of the castles
23. Castles fittings
24.Longitudinal section fitted out
26. Fittings, part 1
27. Fittings. Part 2
29. Front and stern views
30. Top view of the completed hull
31. Overall elevation of the completed hull
32. Layout of the copper lining
33. drawings of masts and yards
34. Mast fittings
35. Blocks and rigging accessories
36. Sails (1/96-scale)
37. Belaying points (1/72-scale)
38. Standing rigging and fore-and-aft sails (1/96-scale)
39. L'Egyptienne under sail (1/96-scale)
Author : Gérard DELACROIX Translation Anthony Klouda
No customer comments for the moment.